This coastal lighthouse came into operation on July 1, 1913, consisting of a square section tower, made of masonry, with masonry wedges, with east and west sides attached to a single floor, which constituted the lighthouse keepers’ dwellings.
Inside, in the center, it has a metallic spiral staircase to access the lantern. The tower was 9 meters high and the lighting device was of the 4th order, rotating, showing groups of five white flashes every ten seconds. Initially, he had an oil lamp for a light source. In May 1952 it would be electrified, having a luminous range of 15 miles, later increased to 18 miles. In 1956, a new electric incandescent appliance with automatic passage of acetylene gas was purchased.
Currently, it works exclusively on electricity, being automated. With the characteristic light of simple white lightning and a period of 7 seconds, it has a luminous range of 20 miles.
This is one of the crossing points on our Kayak Tour.
Credits: Câmara Municipal de Lagos